Thursday, August 19, 2010

Fostering Hriday : Day 1

 


Yesterday after work I went and picked up Hriday from another foster family. I am going to foster him for a week.

The moment we met he was excited. I have not known him and yet he just clinged to me. Hriday is a 8 month old labrador, beige coat. He is absolutely adorable.

He climbed into the car easily. Was very calm during the almost 1.5 hrs drive in the traffic. Unlike Chimi who sleep or sits in the car, he was watching the world go by from the rear and the windows. Especially I found it very cute the way he leaned on the back seat to relax and view. Chimi has never done it.

On reaching home I took him to the terrace. Then went into the home. Chimi smelt him immediately and she was making crying sounds. I don't know why. Then I took Chimi to the terrace and fed both Chimi and Hriday with apples. Hriday was on a leash to ensure they did not break into a war immediately. As long as I was not touching Hriday, Chimi was OK.

I slowly freed him up and there started a very systematic martial fight. Making circles and challenging the opponent. Chimi is a spirited gal and was not scared by his size. She was pawing him so I intervened.

Then I brought them down inside Chimi lost it completely. This had not happened with Oscar when he visited us with Sulekha. She refused to let Hriday be at peace. Poor fella got almost traumatized. He was hiding in the bathroom. Last evening it was impossible to have both of them in the same room. However this morning it is different. Hriday was mostly quite in the hall or may be I was so tired yesterday with so much excitement that I actually slept well. 

Just now I am back from the terrace. They have been fed. Hriday is not eating too much, had to hand feed him. The two played for 1 hr, growled at each other really ferociously at times. When Chimi tried pawing him I gave her a tap. Have left Hirday up so that I can post this and quickly wrap up my domestic chores before I leave for office. Have to do this else Hriday clings to me. He does not know the house rules yet so he is following me into the kitchen. 

I am amazed at the love he is showering on me. He lay on my lap on the drive home and now he needs me to hold him real close and I can sense it how he calms down. He is a large dog and hugs me tight from the back just like a child who wants to be picked up. 

Chalo got to go now. More later...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anjali, is this pup available for adoption? If yes, I might know of a family who might be interested. Do let me know, I could check with them then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes he is. Sapna & Badri were also enquiring. Karthik has a cretain process they can speak to him #9901415012

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your response. We will reply to you at the earliest.